Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Week 14

I feel very strongly about the articles and videos we saw this week. When I was in high school a girl in my grade sent naked pictures to her boyfriend. After they broke up the boyfriend emailed the photos to half of the school. I did not know her well but I am sure she suffered some torment. Texting and emailing videos and pictures of any kind started with my generation of kids. We were some of the first to be instant messaging, visiting chat rooms, and texting. People don't like what they can not understand. Teenagers will do anything for attention, especially the attention of the opposite sex. Many teens have low self esteem causing them to act outrageously. I feel bad for the girls who send pictures or videos of an x-rated nature. Young girls and young boys are under a lot of pressure. I feel the punishment placed on Hope Witsell was unfair. The fact that she received punishment from her peers, from her family, and from her school was unnecessary. The fact that the school decided to punish her months after the event occurred. This story isn't about sexting its about teenagers learning to respect their self and one another. The students should be taught about relationships. The girls should learn to be confident enough to say no to a boy making those requests. The boys should be respectful enough to not even ask that kind of thing. Parents and teachers should be able to talk about what makes some people uncomfortable to talk about.

No comments:

Post a Comment