Sunday, May 5, 2013

Week 13

Ethical and Legal Use of Technology

I didnt realize watching a movie in your class was copyright infringement. I show videos to my preschool class all the time on rainy days and holidays like the day after Christmas. I understand that downloading music and movies from the internet is illegal. Even though a lot of people do it. But I did not know that showing a VHS that you purchased with your own money was copyright infringement.  I would be curious to find out how often schools get fined for issues with copyrights. Does that mean sharing a video with a friend is copyright misuse. As an art teacher I would have good reason to take photos from the internet of famous artwork. How would the students receive an art history education if I can not legally use pictures from the internet or photocopies from an art book? What about the music I like to play while my students are working? Does that mean a student can not bring in a CD or ipod to share with the class? On one hand, I feel that using media for educational purposes should be excused. However, I would teach my students about copyright laws in art. I feel that limiting students access to video, music, and images effects their creativity and their ability to get inspired during the art making process. Being able to use artwork that I access online to educate my students is limiting my abilities as an educator.

No comments:

Post a Comment